Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Christmas Present

I just had to share the amazing Christmas gift John gave me. This is a picture done by Liz Lemon Swindle entitled, "The Worth of a Soul." I love it so much. He waited until we were all done opening presents and then brought it out. It made me cry. It was such a thoughtful and beautiful gift. The story behind this painting is amazing too, I have included the artist's version of the story below.

"When Mothers Without Borders approached me about going to Africa, I told them I was not interested. For me Africa was a world away, “and besides,” I thought, “I am too busy.” Imagine my surprise when I found myself on a plane to Zambia in June 2007.

One of the first children I met was Kennedy, the little boy you see in the painting. At three years old he has lost both of his parents to AIDS and was found living alone with his six year old brother and ten year old sister. When I thought of those three children struggling to survive and the millions of others across Africa in similar circumstances, I felt an overwhelming hopelessness and said to myself, “No amount of money can fix this.”

Later that day while we were filming, Kennedy jumped into the arms of the man portraying the Savior. As I stood watching them, Kennedy turned towards me and our eyes met. At that moment I knew it wasn’t hopeless. I realized that the Savior can fix not only the problems of Africa, but of the whole world…and we can be His hands to do it.

Looking back I realize that my reasons for not wanting to go to Africa are likely the same as yours. We are busy and feel like we cannot make a difference, but I know now that neither is true. We are never too busy to lift another and every good work is known to Him who said, “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of…these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” - Liz Lemon Swindle

Thank You, Love.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Beautiful Court, both the pic and the story. Beautiful.

Grandma Alice said...

If that doesn't make you want to spend your life in service....I don't know what will! What a wonderful gift!! Good job John!

The Oldroyd's said...

That is awesome. I cried. John did so good. Love the picture and the story. (I think I have heard that story before, but everyone needs a reminder.)

Looks like you guys had a great Christmas and New Years.

Lindsay said...

Way to go John! He scored major points, huh? :) Love all your Christmas pics! Looks like you had a ton of fun!

Greg and Heather said...

What a great gift! Awesome.

Jillbee said...

What a special gift from your sweet husband.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful painting!

It was so great to see you all again. Chase and Bella are precious! We hope to see you again soon :)