Thursday, May 22, 2008

Grand Cayman

We got back from Grand Cayman a week ago. We went with John's brother, Joe, his wife Erin and their kids, Carter and Aidan. We rented this great beach house on the non-touristy side of the island and spent a terrific week lounging in the sun. We literally did little other than play at the beach and the pool.
John and Joe did go scuba diving a few times, they loved it. We also went to this cool place called Stingray City. It is a sandbar in the middle of the ocean where about 60 "domesticated" (I use this term lightly, because they are still wild animals and about two weeks before we went a tourist was stung) live. You get out of the boat and they come all around you. You can feed them squid and even hold them. John did all of the above, I basically stayed in the boat, I am a total wuss. Bella was even more brave than me. She happily touched them. I barely did.
On mother's day, we went to the Boatswain Turtle Farm. It was so cool. Right when you walk in there is an large lagoon full of adult sea turtles, at least 100. We fed them and then we went around to the different tanks of younger turtles. You could just pick them up and hold them. Here in the states, there would have been an employee at every tank making sure you were following the rules, but there on the island things were much more relaxed. It was great. Again, John and Bella were the brave ones. Holding and touching them, I just did it once for the picture....I am not an animal person, to say the least.
The island is actually really expensive, so we basically lived off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and pancakes. We did not even buy any souvenirs other than one stingray stuffed animal for Bella. We did however get some beautiful conch shells right off the beach by our house.
We had a wonderful time. Bella and I have wonderful tans and John is not too red. So, all in all it was a wonderful trip.


This is strictly for the camera, I barely did it.


The one below should be first, someone needs to teach me how to correctly input pictures.

Smiling Happily, before getting drenched by the blow hole.


Bella could have played on the beach the entire time. The beach house is in the background.

My brave daughter and husband swimming with the stingray. I am the one on the boat taking the pictures.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

HOW FUN!!! I am so jelaous of your vacations! And dont worry, I wouldnt have gotten NEAR a sting ray...how does one 'domesticate' an animal with no FACE? You were smart to stay in the boat!

Bella is so adroable. I cant believe how flippin cute she is. Her little beach shot was priceless!!!

Someday lets go on vacation together. When I can see my feet again and my thighs dont touch :)