Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

Bella and I in front of my Grandma and Grandpa Norman's graves.

My Mom's Family. My Grandma and Grandpa Norman.

On Memorial Day, we went to the Salt Lake City Cemetery where a lot of my ancestors are buried. We put flowers on my Grandparents grave. My Grandma Norman lived with my family for 10 years while I was growing up. She was a huge influence on my life. She died one week before I met John. She was an amazing woman, a lot like my mom. She taught me love, service and loyalty. She was a widow for 40+ years and never remarried. She never even dated. She said she never wanted to have to choose who's arms she would run to in the eternities. She was a strong and independent woman before that was the norm. I love her. I miss her. I am thankful for days like yesterday that I get to think and reminisce about her and that I get to share memories with my husband and daughter about my Grandma.


Bella putting a flower on President Hinckley's grave.

While we were there, we decided to go and see President Hinckley's grave. John knew where it was from previously seeing Sister Hinckley's. It was nice to honor and remember a man that I felt so close to, even though we never met. He was the prophet of my youth. He was the prophet when I gained my testimony of the Church. I felt close to him because of that. When I told that to my mom she said, "You feel about him the way I felt about David O. McKay and how your dad felt about Spencer W. Kimball."

President Hinckley's grave.

This makes it sound like we had a really sad day, but in reality, it was really fun and relaxing. It was fun to just be with my family with nothing else to do. We also went over to my sister, Erin's house for a BBQ. It was a good kick-off to summer-corn on the cob and all.







8 comments:

Brittany said...

That sounds like a great day. Brennan looks just like your mom.

Walnut said...

I'm lovin that you have a blog now! Let's play next week! Come down and go swimming with us. Hopefully it will be warmer than this week was.

Oh, my friend found her missing shoe.

Love ya!
Linds

Unknown said...

You guys did so good on memorial day!!! I had no relatives buried in Boise to decorate so we ended up painting our living room. Which sadly turned out green instead of 'fig' like we planned. I got your birthday message! Thanks for the call!!! Hopefully ill see you soon

Anonymous said...

Love the old family photo! You guys are so good to go visit families gravesites.... I always forget! I guess Im brainwashed into thinking its just a 3 day weekend!

Lindz said...

I'm so sorry Court! I love ya so much! We had a great day with you girls and we can't wait to get together again soon! Thank you again for the cute necklace! I love it!!

Melissa Niu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philip and Melissa said...

Yo Court...why don't you be my guest "pro insider" on my Daily Style section of my photography website (melissaniu.com)? People are always asking me what to wear for photos and I get quite a few visits a day on the site...it might be good leads for your business...

You could tell what's hot and what's not...all that jazz...and if you need need pics of stuff we can do that too. let me know, it could be fun :-)

HunnyHull said...

I love Memorial Day! I wish I could go visit my grandparent's at the cemetery, but I live nowhere near them now. I still have very fond memories of us with our dads on Halloween.